Archery is an interesting sport but it takes a lot of practice to get good at it. You need to be able to hit targets in a high-pressure environment. The best way to improve your archery skills is by practicing. This means getting the best archery target out there and shooting at it on a regular basis.
Shooting at targets helps hone your skills. However, just shooting at any target is not going to improve your skills. You need targets that help improve your shooting. Fortunately, there are a lot of choices available on the market nowadays. Here are a few tips on what to buy and a look at what some of them have to offer.
When you buy an archery target, there are several things you should consider. An archery target will determine how well your practice is going be. There are several factors that you should consider seriously when you are buying your target.
One of the first things that you should consider is the type of target that you are buying. Each type has their own advantages and disadvantages. The cheapest kind of target out there is the paper target. These are simple paper targets which you attach to whatever surface you are shooting at.
The next type is the bag target. These are heavy targets that can absorb a lot of damage. Another type is the block foam targets. These targets are made of block foam and are a lighter version of bag targets.
Finally, there are 3D targets, which look like 3D figures. They look like various animals or even people. Depending on what type of shooting you plan on doing, you can decide on which type of target will serve you best.
A big factor that you will have to consider is the durability of the target. You will be filling it with a lot of arrow shots. Paper targets are the most fragile, even those that are made of heavy-duty archery paper. However, paper targets preserve your accuracy records better than full targets.
Bag and block targets are more durable options. They can take thousands of arrows before you need to replace them. The problem is that you won’t be able to keep a record of your performance.
The next thing you to consider is how big the target is. The size of the target influences how far away you can place it for shooting. You’ll want a sizable target if you plan to shoot from far away. Also, the size of the target can influence how heavy it will be.
These three are the most important things to look for in an archery target. Let’s look at the top choices available right now.
5 Best Archery Targets
|Yellow Jacket Supreme 3 Field Point Bag Archery Target||$||4.6/5|
|Archery 40cm & 80cm Targets by Longbow||$$||4.7/5|
|Morrell Yellow Jacket YJ-350 Field Point Bag Archery Target||$||4.6/5|
|Block Classic 22 Archery Target||$$||4.5/5|
|]Archery 5 SPOT & 3 SPOT Vegas Targets by Longbow||$||4.7/5|
|Rinehart Woodland Boar 3D Target||$$$||4.4/5|
|Morrell Double Duty 400 FPS Field Point Bag Archery Target||$$||4.6/5|
|Hurricane H25 Archery Bag Target||$||4.4/5|
|Block Invasion 20 – 4 Sided Archery Target – TOP SELLER||$$||4.1/5|
|Drew Polystyrene Foam Archery Target 2′ Square||$||4.1/5|
Yellow Jacket Supreme 3 Field Point Bag Archery Target
Target practice requires a target for you to shoot. Out of all the targets on the market right now, one of the best options is the Yellow Jacket Supreme 3 Field Point Bag Archery Target.
It is a bag target. This means it will last you for a long time. For those who want to practice their archery, that’s important. Here are some more reasons why buying this product is a good choice.
- Tough Design. Thanks to its multilayer design, this target is one of the toughest out there. With its multiple layers, it will stop an arrow’s penetration cold. This extends this target’s lifespan.
- Easy to See. With 25 inches in height and 23 inches in width, this target is the right size for a target. It is visible from several yards away and allows you to shoot it easily
- Easy Transport. Bag targets are rather heavy and hard to carry. This particular bag has an EZ Tote carry handle. This should make it easier to carry around.
- Durable Target. Thanks to its special design, it stands up to a lot of punishment. Targets can get shredded by arrows hitting them, resulting in bags slumping down. Thanks to an Internal Frame System though, the body of this bag target retains its shape.
- Arrows Easy to Get Out. One of the great things about this target is that it is easy to get the arrows out. Just pull it out and you should get it undamaged.
- Field Points Only. There are different arrow heads you can use. One of the most common is field points. These field points are designed for distance shooting and for accuracy. They also cause minimal damage to targets. For this reason, this bag works best with these tips. Other tips can cause more damage.
Overall, this is a good choice for a target. They are inexpensive and easy to use. All you need is a place to hang it up and you should be able to shoot at it. That’s good, since it will allow you to start shooting and practicing in a lot of places. Buy this target for an excellent target for practice.
Archery 40cm & 80cm Targets by Longbow
The 40 cm and 80 cm Archery Targets by Longbow are a great help to anyone who wants to improve their accuracy. Paper targets are designed to be placed on a variety of surfaces, allowing them to become targets for archery practice. Constant practice with these targets should greatly improve your accuracy.
- Meets Olympic Standards. Archery is a great sport with a lot of stringent rules. To be really good in competitive archery, you need to be able to win according to these rules. These targets use the Olympic standard, which means that they are the same as those used in Olympic competitions. Target practice with these ensures that you will perform the same way in competitions.
- Sold in Bulk Packets. Instead of being sold individually, these targets are available in handy bulk packets. This is a good since you will need a lot of these.
- These targets are easy to carry. This is because they are mostly paper. All you need to do to get a great target is to just stick them on a solid surface. You can then start shooting. Overall, this is a good choice for portable practice.
- For Any Marksmanship Sport. These targets are not just for archery. Any sport that needs accuracy can use these targets. They are good value for anyone who wants to improve their marksmanship, whether in guns or in bows.
- Needs Support. Though you are free to use them as individual targets, they work better if they have a solid surface behind them. Even if it is only a cardboard box, it can still be effective. However, you can buy more expensive foam block or bag targets to make them work better.
- A Bit Fragile. These targets are still made of paper. You will need to take care of them. You could end up tearing them if you’re not careful.
This target product is very useful. When you shoot at bag and block targets, they tend to get damaged. The result is that you would not be able to properly record your performance.
With a solid record of your previous practice, you should check if you’re getting better. With their help, you can improve your skills greatly. Overall, that’s a good result from the minor investment in buying a few packs of these paper targets.
Morrell Yellow Jacket YJ-350 Field Point Bag Archery Target
One of the more popular things to shoot at in archery practice is a bag target. The Morrel Yellow Jacket YJ-350 Field Point Bag Archery Target is one of the better choices when it comes to bag targets.
Bag targets accept a lot of punishment from arrows. Thousands of shots are needed to improve your accuracy with a bow and having this bag target is a step in the right direction. Here are some reasons why.
- Easily Visible. In target shooting, you want a target that is easy to see. You won’t have any problems with that in this target, its bright coloring really makes it easy to see. The red and yellow design really help make it noticeable. It also helps that it has a good size of 21 by 21 inches.
- Solid Stopping Power. It is also designed to stop an arrow easily. When you shoot at a target, the arrow penetrates it. A good target will be able to stop the arrow from penetrating too much. This prevents too much damage to the arrow when it is removed. This target is good enough to stop the arrow from penetrating too deeply.
- This target is ready to take a lot of punishment. As part of target practice, it will receive a lot of damage. This is the result of thousands of arrows hitting it. However, thanks to the design of this product, it will keep its shape and form even after thousands of shots.
- Easy to Set-Up. Archery is supposed to be straight forward. With this target, you can easily set up a target range. Just raise it up and hang it from any position. Thanks to the grommets, it will be able to stand on its own.
- Field Point Arrows only. You can only use field point arrows with this particular target. Using any other arrows will be damage it too much. That is a bit limiting but since field points are the best for target shooting anyway, it’s a good choice.
This is a great target that Morrell has produced. It has everything that you can possibly need in a bag target: durability, easy visibility, and simple set-up. Plus, it’s also cheap compared to other options. Overall a good purchase.
Block Classic Archery Target
Foam block targets are different from the normal bag targets. Thanks to the fact that they are solid blocks of foam, they can bring some advantages to the table.
One of the best choices out there for foam blocks is Block Classic Archery Target. If you want something to change in the way you do target shooting, then this is a good option. Here are a few reasons why you should seriously consider buying one.
- When you shoot with arrows, you have a choice of arrow points. This can range from accurate field points to cutting broad heads. This is because they each have their own purpose. Unfortunately, when you are practicing with targets, tips other than field points do a lot of damage. Using block targets, you do not need to worry about that.
- Stops Arrows with Friction. A noticeable feature of block targets is that they use friction to stops arrows. When an arrow hits a block target, the arrow generates heat as it is passing through. This melts the foam material. This is what the stops the arrow and minimizes the damage of the arrow. This ensures that they will be able to last longer.
- Increased Durability. The foam block material greatly increases the durability of the target. Most targets get shot at thousands of times in their lifetime. This would be devastating to a lot of materials since when the arrow is drawn out the damage is doubled. Foam blocks deal with it differently. When the arrow is taken out, the material inside collapses. It results in the block target retaining its original shape and form much more easily.
- Easy Targeting. This foam block target uses a very visible black and white color scheme. That’s a good way to know whether you’re hitting the right target.
- The main problem with foam block targets is over penetration. Foam blocks can stop low-velocity arrows and other projectiles. However, when the force behind it is too strong, then the arrow can penetrate too much. The result is that the arrow can be hard to take out.
This target is a great choice if you want to use it to practice with multiple arrowheads. Though it can be expensive, it does manage to get the job done and familiarizes you with other arrows. If you plan to use broadheads a lot then this is a good choice.
Archery 5 SPOT & 3 SPOT Vegas Targets by Longbow
Target shooting requires regular practice. The best way to do that is with an organized target, instead of just a solid mass. That’s what the Archery 5 SPOT & 3 SPOT Vegas Targets from Longbow gives to those who practice with it.
Able to be attached to a variety of surfaces, you can use these in combination with other targets to present yourself with a definite goal in target shooting. Plus, you can keep them as a record of your performance. Here are some reasons why you should pick these targets.
- Practice Anywhere. This target can be attached to a wide variety of surfaces. A flat surface is all that you need to do your target shooting. Just get a cardboard box and put these targets over it. They make great impromptu targets and are very cheap.
- Noticeable Color Scheme. Target shooting requires you to hit distant targets. To best do that, you want targets that are noticeable. The best way is to have a noticeable color scheme. Both types have a color scheme that really pops, using red, yellow, and blue.
- For Your Records. When you use these targets, you will be able to have a complete mix of records. That’s a good thing since you can then track your progress. With their help, you can tailor your training regimen to meet your requirements.
- For All Marksmanship Sports. These targets are not only for archery purposes. If the sport needs marksmanship, these targets can be used for it. Whether it is for rifle, pistols, crossbows, or more, provided a distinct mark is left, these target sheets are a good choice.
- These targets are easy to buy. They mainly come in packs of 20, but they are also available in larger packs. Buy a 200 pack and you should have enough for hours of target practice and you won’t even be spending too much.
- Requires Backing. These targets require a solid backing. Without it, the arrow just punches through and becomes a danger to other people. Even a cardboard box is enough, but you can also get fancy and buy bag or block targets.
Overall, this is a great purchase for any target shooter. Buy a big pack and you can certainly improve your target shooting skills.
Of the five targets presented, I would seriously consider buying the YJ-350. This is because of what it brings to the table. First, it’s a bag type target. Bag type targets tend to be bags that are filled with porous materials like sand or something similar. They absorb a lot of the force an arrow has and stops it cold. This is good since you want arrows to stick to the target to see how your accuracy is improving.
Next, there’s the matter of the bag’s durability. Unlike other bags, the YJ-350 uses layers of material. This increases the ability of the bag to stop arrows, whilst also increasing its stability.
Instead of just slumping down, the bag retains its internal framework. That’s good, since it will allow you to keep on shooting at the target for a long time. As an extra bonus, this makes it easier to pull out arrows from the bag.
Finally, the bag is just the right size. Though some bag targets tend to get heavier with their size, the YJ-350 is of manageable weight even at its 21 by 21-inch size.
Overall, combined with its affordable price, I’d recommend the YJ-350 as the best target to buy.